Randy Sikes
Assistant Chief
Primary Assignment: Special Operations Bureau
Station Assignment: Headquarters

[NOV 2020] Monthly Bulletin Newsletter

Post by Randy Sikes » 04 Dec 2020, 08:56

⠀⠀LOS SANTOS FIRE DEPARTMENT⠀⠀
⠀⠀MONTHLY BULLETIN NEWSLETTER #29 - NOVEMBER 2020⠀⠀

November, another month down and one more to go until the end of 2020. November brings us up to the 29th newsletter and what a month it has been. With the first snowfall hitting Los Santos earlier this week, winter hit Los Santos with a bang and the Los Santos Fire Department has been busy as always.

With another Deputy Chief joining the ranks, we have had to say goodbye to many familiar faces within the department. But, as always have welcomed new members to the LSFD family with open arms and as always remain committed to serving our city with Courage, Integrity and Pride!

⠀⠀
Yesterday, citizens of Los Santos were treated to the first signs of winter. It began snowing in the early hours in the morning with much of the city waking up to snow on the floor and flurries in the area. But, for the Los Santos Fire Department. It was business as usual.

Firefighters salted the entrances to the station bays the days prior. But, throughout the day Firefighters shovelled piling snow from the entrances and cleared the walkways of snow and ice. Snow doesn't stop emergencies etheir and the department responded to calls as usual. Battling the cold weather to continue the departments pledge of serving the Los Santos community with Courage, Integrity and Pride.
Fire Drill on Sustancia Road, Firefighters work in the Snowy Conditions
They also continued their usual drills, Captain Aoyama setting up a fire drill up in El Burro a stones through away from Station Seven, Firefighters responded to a controlled fire in two vehicles. Keeping up their skills in Fire Suppression and Extrication.

Elsewhere, Firefighters like Engineer Anna Degtyarev was out across the city checking hydrants for ice, an important part of Fire Suppression is having ready access to a supply of water. So, in cold conditions and snow, hydrants require to be checked for ice and maintained where needed and firefighters left behind at Sevens found time to build a snowman. Yesterday the Department received 39 911 calls. This does not involve call-outs from other Governmental agencies.

Weather predictions show the weather to be improving over the next couple of days. However, always remember to stay safe and stay warm whilst having fun if we're treated to another day of snow. But, we hope you had safe and enjoyable day yesterday.

The Los Santos Fire Department is made up of a dedicated team of employees who serve Los Santos and surrounding areas with courage, integrity and pride every day of their lives. Over the next couple of weeks you'll be able to learn a bit more about the individuals that give it their all to keep you safe and well.

This week, Public Relations sat down with Station Seven's Captain Leonardo Holman. Leonardo talks to us about his motivations for joining the Los Santos Fire Department, what he enjoys about the work and advice for those looking to become a firefighter.
Interview Transcript

What made you want to be a Firefighter and join the Los Santos Fire Department?
"I saw the opportunity and I went for it, it was certainly a challenge but..if you think about it, whats best than working hard and striving so you can save someone's life? Its what kept me going and still is to this day."

What motivates you in your job role or in the department in general?
"The crew is what keeps me going, they're a bunch of dorks with a good heart. Obviously there's times when things have to be spoken and set straight, but the overall attitude of the guys in the Department is one of a kind. I strive for them to learn and improve themselves over time, being a Captain demands you to be present both on duty and off duty, so I try to be the best I can be...but there's always things to learn."

How do you deal with the day-today stress of the job, being a Firefighter?
"I consider myself lucky that I'm just able to easily disconnect from whatever the job brings once I clock out, I usually relax off duty with my fellow Firefighters, friends of mine both from FD or PD or I go out for a bike ride and I tell ya'...nothing beats driving down Great Ocean Highway with my Nightblade.
"

Whats your favourite part of working for the Los Santos Fire Department?
"There's a lot of things I like about the job, the day to day with my colleagues, getting to interact with the public and of course, saving lives."

Whats any advice you'd give to someone who wants to join the Los Santos Fire Department?
"Go on a ridealong! *chuckles* See what we do, get a feel for what its like to be in it, that is my best advice. Its a job that challenges you on every level, physically and mentally but we're all here to help eachother out and we look out for eachother, if you're determined, you can definitely make it."
AERIAL OPERATIONS DIVISION
Every month we feature a division in which the division's leader can make a statement on exciting upcoming things and accomplishments.
Captain I Itsuki Aoyama:
"The Air Operations Division as you could tell is the one division that houses the Fire Department's helicopters.

The Division is located at LSIA where we have a Fire Station. One of our helicopters however, is located at Station 7 in El Burro and responds directly from there to emergency calls that require faster response. We have three helicopters in total, as mentioned above - they're stationed at Fire Stations 6 and 7 and they're utilized on daily basis for various calls.

As a resident of the Sandy Shores, Grapeseed, or Paleto Bay you may often spot our helicopters flying over as they respond to emergencies in the area. The aircrafts are our main choice when it comes to wildfires, search and rescue, and mountain rescue as they prove to be a valuable asset in such emergencies. The Air Operations division plays a major role in such incidents as our helicopters reach places where no other machine in the Department's fleet goes, or does it much faster.

Now, I'd like to mention that I've been appointed as Commanding Officer of the Division just last month, and since then I've been focusing heavily on making the division more accessible. Ever since I have taken over the division, we've seen a big spike of interest. During the past forty days we have recruited ten new members, five of them were hired as pilots, and five more - as flight crew members.

I'd like to note that while Air Operations is one of the oldest divisions within our Department, it surely isn't one of the bigger ones and such interest in the division makes me proud and happy. I'd like to also mention some changes that were introduced recently after I've taken over the reigns of the division from Engineer Degtyarev.

The first change that I've implemented is the opening of two new positions within the division. Both positions are oriented towards our Volunteer Firefighters and aim to offer them more possibilities within our Department as volunteers. The new positions are "Volunteer Pilot" and "Volunteer Flight Crew". Unlike the regular firefighters, if you aimed to be volunteer pilot, you'd need to have a license that proves your ability to operate aircrafts.The requirements for Flight Crew are same for both career and volunteer firefighters so no difference there.

The other change that I've implemented is oriented towards our Pilots. This change allows the existence of aerial patrols. Our pilots will now operate our aircrafts to patrol the more distant locations of our state. Their main focus will be to look out for wildfires, people in distress who require assistance but cannot call for such, or other emergencies.
"

Awards

Throughout each month, various awards are issued to show accomplishments and certifications that have been accumulated through hard work and dedication, find below the awards that were issued this month!
[+] Firefighter Awards
Firefighter Awards

This award is obtainable by being voted as the Firefighter of the Month in monthly Supervisory discussions. This month we congratulate the following person:

Firefighter III Patrycja Lipska

In contrast to Firefighter of the Month, this award is given in recognition of outstanding performance shown during Firefighter Probation. This month we congratulate the following person:

Firefighter I Gary Foster

This award is given to those who have successfully served the Los Santos Fire Department for three consecutive months. This month we congratulate the following people:

Firefighter III Kenneth Boyd
Firefighter III Nick Deimous
Firefighter I Leland Wilcox

Awarded to those who have successfully served the Los Santos Fire Department for six consecutive months. This month we congratulate the following people:

Captain I Itsuki Aoyama
Volunteer Firefighter Elena Estrada

Awarded to those who have successfully served the Los Santos Fire Department for one consecutive year. This month we congratulate the following people:

Fire Chief Randy Sikes

Awarded to those who have successfully been internally promoted to the Command Team of the Training and Recruitment Division. This month we congratulate the following people:

Engineer Jess Williams
Firefighter III Patrycja Lipska

Awarded to those who have successfully passed the State mandated Basic Life Support course and gained the EMT-B license. This month we congratulate the following people:

Firefighter I Leah Garza
Firefighter I Bas Reynolds
Volunteer Firefighter Mayer O'Doyle
Probationary Firefighter Ava Mille
Probationary Firefighter Justine Cadieux
Probationary Firefighter Mel Han
Probationary Firefighter Marley Moran
Probationary Firefighter Derrick Maxwell
Probationary Firefighter Raye Santana

Awarded to those who have successfully completed Paramedic training provided by the Training & Recruitment division. This month we congratulate the following people:

Firefighter III Arwen Conway
Firefighter II Alex Randall
Firefighter II Rebecca Spencer
Firefighter I Clarke MacKay
Firefighter I Isabel Lopez

Awarded to those who have successfully completed the Class A Emergency Vehicle Operator Course. This month we congratulate the following people:

Firefighter II Jimmy Bufalino
Firefighter I Caiden Burks
Firefighter I Kevin Dorsey

Awarded to those who have successfully completed the Class B Emergency Vehicle Operator Course. This month we congratulate the following people:

Firefighter I Leah Garza
Firefighter I Bas Reynolds
Volunteer Firefighter August Lyons
Probationary Firefighter Ava Mille
Probationary Firefighter Marley Moran
Probationary Firefighter Justine Cadieux
Probationary Firefighter Derrick Maxwell

Awarded to those who have gone above and beyond of what is expected of them and have been harmed or killed in the line of duty. This month we sadly recognize the following people:

Firefighter I Torstein Lindström

Awarded to those who have gone above and beyond for the Department and have taken initiative in doing so. This month we congratulate the following people:

Deputy Chief Patrick Moore
Battalion Chief Danny Park
Captain II Molly Steele

To the end of every month, members who are due a promotion are discussed by all Supervisory members of the Los Santos Fire Department. Members who have shown dedication, enthusiasm, maturity and have completed the requirements of their rank, are recommended for promotion before Chiefs of the department make the final decision. Below are the members who have successfully received promotions!
[+] Firefighter Promotions

⠀Probationary Firefighter to Firefighter I
  • Kevin Dorsey
  • Torstein Lindstrom
  • Gary Foster
  • Leah Garza
  • Bas Reynolds

⠀Firefighter I to Firefighter II
  • Alice MacCarthy
  • Clarke MacKay
  • Dylan Brewer
  • Isabel Lopez
  • Leland Wilcox
  • Lilith Seong

⠀Firefighter II to Firefighter III
  • Arnold Angel

⠀Firefighter III to Engineer
  • Jess Williams

⠀Captain I to Captain II
  • Kurt Holland

⠀Battalion Chief to Deputy Chief
  • Patrick Moore

Below is listed our current number of members at each rank in the Los Santos Fire Department.

⠀Chief Officers:
  • Fire Chief: 1
  • Assistant Chiefs: 0
  • Deputy Chiefs: 2
  • Battalion Chiefs: 1

⠀Company Officers:
  • Captain II: 3
  • Captain I: 1

⠀Non-Commissioned Staff:
  • Engineers: 6
  • Firefighter III: 7
  • Firefighter II: 5
  • Firefighter I: 16
  • Probationary Firefighters: 10
  • Voluntary Firefighters: 5
  • Civilian Staff: 3

⠀Lifeguards:
  • Chief Lifeguard: 0
  • Lifeguard Captains: 1
  • Lifeguards: 5
  • Lifeguard Trainees: 0

⠀Total members: 66

Every month the chief leaves his own statement at the end of every newsletter taking an overlook of the department from his perspective, below you can find what he had to say this month.
Fire Chief Randy Sikes:
"Good morning, everybody.

I'm saddened to announce a line of duty death that occurred in the past couple of days. On the 27th of November, 2020, Firefighter Torstein Lindström was responding to an emergency call when his unit was involved in a head-on collision on MacDonald Street in Davis. Firefighter Lindstrom was transported to Davis Medical Center where he succumbed to his injuries. He was a promising young firefighter upcoming in the department and was held in high regard by his peers and supervisors. We are deeply saddened by his passing and are working with his family the best we can. We ask everyone to respect his family's privacy during this time.

I have nothing else to bring forward today. I congratulate everybody who earned an award or promotion, they are all well deserved.
"
Created by the Public Relations Division. Thanks for reading!

Facebrowser | Press Releases | Join us!

Victoria Johnston
Retired

Re: [NOV 2020] Monthly Bulletin Newsletter

Post by Victoria Johnston » 04 Dec 2020, 08:57

Congratulations everyone! Whatta great month. RIP Lintstorm.
FIREFIGHTER II/PARAMEDIC
LS COUNTY LIFEGUARDS
PUBLIC RELATIONS
STATION SEVEN
EL BURRO, LOS SANTOS
VOLUNTEER LIFEGUARD
PUBLIC AFFAIRS CONSULTANT

Kurt Holland
Battalion Chief
Primary Assignment: Operations Bureau
Station Assignment: Station 3

Post by Kurt Holland » 04 Dec 2020, 09:00

Congratulations, everyone!
"THE SUPERIOR MAN UNDERSTANDS WHAT IS RIGHT; THE INFERIOR MAN UNDERSTANDS WHAT WILL SELL." — CONFUCIUS Image

Rosetta Castano
Retired
Primary Assignment: Public Relations Division
Station Assignment: Headquarters

Post by Rosetta Castano » 04 Dec 2020, 09:03

Wooooo, congrats people

ASST. DIRECTOR OF PUBLIC RELATIONS | Rosetta Castano
[email protected]
Phone Number: 456-456

Dylan Brewer
Civilian

Post by Dylan Brewer » 04 Dec 2020, 09:06

Congratulations!
Rest in peace, Lindstrom, just heard..

Jonathan Fjellhol
Retired

Post by Jonathan Fjellhol » 04 Dec 2020, 12:35

Congratulations everyone!!! Very proud of you all! Stay strong!

Jess Williams
Retired Battalion Chief
Primary Assignment: Operations Bureau
Station Assignment: Station 1

Post by Jess Williams » 04 Dec 2020, 13:23

Congratulations!
Battalion Chief - Battalion 2 (#34843) Image

Michael Emery
Engineer
Primary Assignment: Truck Company
Station Assignment: Station 7

Post by Michael Emery » 04 Dec 2020, 13:38

Absolutely devastated by the loss of one of our own Firefighters. Firefighter Lindstrom had only recently joined Fire Station 3 and had a long way to go in the department. A young life lost so young, the red line is a little thinner. Rest In Peace, we've got it here from now brother.

Thank you Chief for the award, I appreciate it immensely and I am proud to be able to serve yourself, the department and the people of this great city with courage, pride and integrity. I offer my congratulations to the rest of the department for their achievements in awards and promotions. Have a good Christmas.
Engineer Michael Emery
Badge: #79050
Station: #7 / Shift: #B

Truck 7
[+] Formers
Ret. Captain II Molly Steele
Badge: #26662
Station: #3 / Shift: #A
Urban Search & Rescue Unit Commander
Logistics Officer
Training Officer
Ret. Deputy Chief Chloe MacKenzie