Randy Sikes
Assistant Chief
Primary Assignment: Special Operations Bureau
Station Assignment: Headquarters

[DEC 2020] Monthly Bulletin Newsletter

Post by Randy Sikes » 02 Jan 2021, 21:36

⠀⠀LOS SANTOS FIRE DEPARTMENT⠀⠀
⠀⠀MONTHLY BULLETIN NEWSLETTER #30 - DECEMBER 2020⠀⠀

As we come to a close to the holiday season, we bring you the 30th newsletter and the last of
2020. December has been a month full of cheer and celebration even with the high volume of calls
that came with it. At this moment we would like to thank everyone for their amazing work in
closing out the year to the highest of standards.

With the opening of the newly renovated Pillbox Medical Center, we can only expect to see
more of a variety of calls in which we all need to continue to work as a team to ensure
everything goes smoothly.

Going forward into the new year we welcome a new group of faces on their journey in the
department as well as some older ones as they embark up the ranks to bigger and better
success. Let us continue to strive to meet those resolutions for the upcoming 2021.

2020 has been a year of prosperity for the Los Santos Fire Department, celebrating successes, innovating, educating and continuing our promise to serve the community of Los Santos with Courage, Integrity and Pride. A promise made since the Departments founding in 1886. However, as 2020 draws to a close, the department spends time to reflect and remember those colleagues lost along the way.

In 2020, the Department has said goodbye to many colleagues along the way who have departed us for pastures new. But, not always do they leave us by choice. Many are killed in the line of duty, killed whether through an accident on the job or murdered whilst attempting to do their job for the community. This year, the Los Santos Fire Department has lost six Firefighters. Six colleagues. Family members. Who clocked in to their shifts with the prospect of returning to their families after. But, never got the chance to do so.

In this Press Release, the Department would like to remember them.

Captain Laura Murphy - April 26th, 2020
Cause Of Death: Flammable Explosion, Line of Duty

Captain Laura Murphy lost her life in the Line of Duty when a tank containing flammable was shot causing an explosion assisting on a call. She has be consistently remembered by her colleagues through charitable efforts, with Engineer Anna Degtyarev running two marathons in her memory back in July with the most recent being the Northern District Marathon in November. Across events, Anna has managed to raise $673,692 for charity in Laura's name.

Probationary Firefighter Sakura Watanabe - 30th July, 2020
Cause Of Death: Suicide, Line of Duty

Probationary Firefighter Sakura Watanabe lost her life when she attempted suicide on duty, the Los Santos Fire Department received a call from on duty Los Santos Police Department Officers about a Firefighter intending to jump off the Maze Bank Tower. Despite efforts to save her life from colleagues, Firefighter Watanabe fatally shot herself in the head to end her life. The Department fell under intense scrutiny from Media and in response to this incident brought a change in Mental Health Support for Firefighters in active service with the Department beginning to employ more Psychologists alongside Mental Health Screening.

Probationary Firefighter Amelie Wolff - October 13th, 2020
Cause Of Death: Kidnapping, Off Duty

Hopeful Probationary Firefighter Amelie Wolff lost her life when she clocked off from her shift at Station Seven in El Burro Heights on the night of 13th of October, 2020. She was kidnapped from outside of Station Seven and taken out to the county by the assailants, while the motives remain unknown. Despite efforts from the Los Santos Fire Department and Los Santos Police Department, Firefighter Wolff lost her life in the events following her abduction. Following this event, the Los Santos Fire Department has begun working more closely with the Los Santos Police Department to ensure the safety of the agencies stations and educating it's employees in safely commuting to and from work.

Captain Cain Sanderson - October 26th, 2020
Cause Of Death: Plane Crash, Off Duty

Captain Cain Sanderson lost his life in active service during a plane crash in Blaine County. Despite efforts of Firefighters from across Battalion 1 and 2, Cain lost his life when the plane was engulfed. Cain Sanderson was a respected member of the Los Santos Fire Department leading Aerial Operations as well as being a Training and Recruitment member.

Ex-PR Director Freddy Mellet - November 23rd, 2020
Cause Of Death: Health Complications, Lung Cancer

Ex-PR Director and Firefighter Freddy Mellet lost his life after a long. But, difficult battle with Lung Cancer. Despite not being in active service with the Los Santos Department and working for Los Santos Government. Freddy remained a much loved member of the Los Santos Fire Department family, frequently visiting Station Seven in El Burro Heights days after his departure until the days preceding his death. PR Director and Firefighter II Alice MacCarthy along with close friend and Ex-Fire Marshal Brendan Vano along with other members of the State Fire Marshals ran the Northern District Marathon in his memory.

Firefighter I Torstein Lindström - November 27th, 2020
Cause Of Death: Ambulance Crash, Line of Duty

Firefighter I Torstein Lindström lost his life in active Line of Duty after his ambulance collided with a Pedestrian vehicle outside of Station Three in Davis whilst responding to a 911 call. Despite efforts of Firefighters from Station Three attending the scene, Firefighter Lindström was transported to hospital where he later succumbed to his injuries. Lindström was a much loved member of the Los Santos Fire Department also serving within the Public Relations division and working part time as a Lecturer for the University Los Santos San Andreas (ULSA).

Know that, despite now stepping into 2021, Firefighters lost in 2020 will remain in our thoughts, prayers and memories for the many years to come. The department will continue to stand with their families and continue to stand with our community. As always, the Los Santos Fire Department always ask for the privacy of the Firefighters families to be respected.

The Firefighters Prayer

When I am called to duty, God, whenever flames may rage;
Give me strength to save some life, whatever be its age.
Help me embrace a little child before it’s too late
Or save an older person from the horror of that fate.
Enable me to be alert and hear the weakest shout,
And quickly and efficiently to put the fire out.
I want to fill my calling to give the best in me,
To guard my every neighbor and protect their property.
And if, according to my fate, I am to lose my life;
Please bless with your protecting hand my children and my wife.

The USAR (Urban Search and Rescue) has the primary mission and objective, as the name suggests, to enable the Los Santos Fire Department with the ability to carry out Search and Rescue Missions. Whilst it may seem really bare-bones in and by itself, USAR actually has much more other areas that are carried out on a day-to-day basis, this article will go in-depth in all of those areas to explain the real mission statement of the USAR.

Urban Search and Rescue is a sub-divisional team within the Los Santos Fire Department which Firefighters are able to volunteer for, firefighters that do wish to join are required to have a couple of pre-defined certifications and are required to go through a hefty application stage, entry test and an induction process, this assists the Los Santos Fire Department in choosing only the most qualified candidates for the position of USAR. Furthermore, USAR utilizes specific fleet vehicles which for the purpose of this article will be separated into each different team so it is easier to explain;

Rescue Engine (RE-3) - This unit is responsible for responding to any structure fire and is the front-line for doing primary searches by going directly inside of burning buildings and searching for any survivors, were they to find any survivors it becomes their primary objective to get those survivors out of the burning buildings in as safe of a manner as possible. Any type of structure fire would most likely fill up the building with dark smoke, so the visibility for for firefighters would be close to none, firefighters mainly rely on walls for their navigation as well as verbal communication/callouts from people.

Search and Rescue (K9-3) - This unit is responsible for responding to any calls in which a person's location isn't specifically pinpointed to a small enough area for a regular response. Calls that require response from this division usually require search teams over a large area to pinpoint the exact location of an incident, this is usually around forests, mountains or coastal lines. The division is responsible for establishing multiple search teams to cover as much ground as possible and even has the authorized use of a helicopter. This team also utilizes specially trained K9 Rescue Medical Dogs which will track down the location of someone who may have found themselves lost or have issues designating their location when contacting Emergency Services. The fire department's K9 dogs are specially trained to locate specific items, humans and human remains (bodies). These dogs also have some very basic skill of treatment against anxiety attacks as well as panic attacks.

Hazardous Material Response (Squad-3) - This unit is responsible for, as the name would suggest, responding to calls which would include hazardous chemicals (including and not limited to; explosives, gases, flammable liquids, flammable solids, oxidizing substances, toxic/infectious substances, radioactive material, corrosives). Alongside Support Services, they also assist with the cleanup process of any hazardous materials and leaks.

Swift Water Response (SWR-3) - This unit is responsible for any emergency calls that come from or near bodies of water. This includes and is not limited to; Oceans, Rivers or Lakes. This division primarily focuses on rescue, however, it does also have an included Search element, in cases where the people are unable to be located and are described to be on or in water, Water Rescue is the division who locates these people alongside the assistance of other divisions and agencies. Water Rescue also has an element that focuses on recovery, this is not necessarily limited to /only/ body recovery, most of the time, Water Rescue is responsible for searching larger bodies of water for items and attempting to locate evidence for the police or just a victim who may have lost their wallet.

Technical Rescue (USAR-3) - This unit is responsible for any technical calls that come in to the Fire Department, technical calls can range from a regular cat being stuck in tree to a call of people stuck in an elevator. Essentially, Technical Rescue is, as the name suggests, a team that specializes in calls that require some type of technical intervention. This team also ensures safety on electrical hazard scene and usually handles such calls by ensuring that a hazard is turned off so it is no longer hazardous.

Logistical Support (UT-3) - This unit is responsible for any calls that requires Logistical Support (equipment hauling or personnel hauling). This team is also just utilized for transportation of equipment or personnel between stations.

Opinion & A deep dive into USAR calls:
I have spent 2 full weeks within the Urban Search and Rescue Team, responding to calls with them, interviewing them and getting a general outlook alongside them in their work. The first thing, within my own personal opinion that I can say is that I believe the USAR team is basically a SWAT department within the LSFD. These guys are the elite of the elite, the most professional people I've ever worked with and the calls that I've seen whilst working alongside them and everything they did was bloody amazing. - Elise Reyna

In this month's segment of Fleet Monthly, we look at one of our aerial units the Buckingham Maverick!

The Los Santos Fire Department has a total of three aerial units two of them being Buckingham Mavericks and the other being a Buckingham Supervolito. Each unit produced and retrofitted by Western Company and Buckingham. Within the LSFD the Air Operations division is primarily responsible for these units. From aerial fire responses to medical transports all the way to hoist rescues these helicopters are manned 24/7 by our Air Ops division with most pilots being stationed out of LSIA at Station Six.

One of the Buckingham Mavericks also known as COPTER-2 is a medium-duty helicopter with hoist capabilities along with aerial firefighting instruments. COPTER-2 is powered by an Enus-M250 turboshaft engine delivering enough speed even in the most demanding situations. With a 10-meter rotor diameter and a rotor area of about 872 square feet, this helicopter is compact for any sort of daring rescue operations. COPTER-2 is equipped with a searchlight, a high-intensity optical zoom camera with infrared and night vision.

Our Air Operation members go through extensive training sessions to prepare them for the worst possible situations. So next time you look up it may just be one of our Buckingham Mavericks being flown by our amazing Air Operation Pilots!

Awards

Throughout each month, various awards are issued to show accomplishments and certifications that have been accumulated through hard work and dedication, find below the awards that were issued this month!
[+] Firefighter Awards
Firefighter Awards

This award is obtainable by being voted as the Firefighter of the Month in monthly Supervisory discussions. This month we congratulate the following person:

Firefighter III Leland Wilcox

In contrast to Firefighter of the Month, this award is given in recognition of outstanding performance shown during Firefighter Probation. This month we congratulate the following person:

Firefighter I Katelyn McLeod

This award is given to those who have successfully served the Los Santos Fire Department for three consecutive months. This month we congratulate the following people:

Firefighter III Samantha Lee
Firefighter III Arwen Conway
Firefighter II Jimmy Bufalino

Awarded to those who have successfully served the Los Santos Fire Department for six consecutive months. This month we congratulate the following people:

Engineer Gary Young

Awarded to those who have successfully served the Los Santos Fire Department for nine consecutive months. This month we congratulate the following people:

Captain II Kurt Holland

Awarded to those who have successfully served the Los Santos Fire Department for one consecutive year. This month we congratulate the following people:

Fire Chief Randy Sikes

Awarded to those who have successfully been internally promoted to the Command Team of the Urban Search & Rescue Division. This month we congratulate the following people:

Engineer Kenneth Boyd

Awarded to those who have successfully passed the State mandated Basic Life Support course and gained the EMT-B license. This month we congratulate the following people:

Probationary Firefighter Marcos Delacruz
Probationary Firefighter Tim Miller
Probationary Firefighter Sabrina Pruett
Probationary Firefighter Katelyn McLoed
Probationary Firefighter Raz Reeves
Probationary Firefighter Paul Woodman
Probationary Firefighter Alys Soswiz
Volunteer Firefighter Tanner Mullins
Volunteer Firefighter Bully Mullins

Awarded to those who have successfully completed Paramedic training provided by the Training & Recruitment division. This month we congratulate the following people:

Firefighter II Leland Wilcox
Firefighter II Alice MacCarthy
Firefighter II Lilith Seong
Firefighter II Gary Foster
Firefighter II Jimmy Bufalino
Firefighter I Kevin Dorsey

Awarded to those who have successfully completed the Class A Emergency Vehicle Operator Course. This month we congratulate the following people:

Firefighter I Jackie Kerwood
Firefighter I Leah Garza
Firefighter I Bas Reynolds

Awarded to those who have successfully completed the Class B Emergency Vehicle Operator Course. This month we congratulate the following people:

Firefighter II Lilith Seong
Probationary Firefighter Marcos Delacruz
Probationary Firefighter Katelyn McLoed
Probationary Firefighter Raz Reeves
Probationary Firefighter Paul Woodman
Probationary Firefighter Alys Soswiz
Volunteer Firefighter Amy Maddox

To the end of every month, members who are due a promotion are discussed by all Supervisory members of the Los Santos Fire Department. Members who have shown dedication, enthusiasm, maturity and have completed the requirements of their rank, are recommended for promotion before Chiefs of the department make the final decision. Below are the members who have successfully received promotions!
[+] Firefighter Promotions

⠀Probationary Firefighter to Firefighter I
  • Mel Han
  • Ave Mille
  • Mitch Linwood
  • Katelyn McLeod

⠀Firefighter I to Firefighter II
  • Kevin Dorsey
  • Gary Foster
  • Jackie Kerwood
  • Bas Reynolds
  • Leah Garza

⠀Firefighter II to Firefighter III
  • Lilith Seong
  • Leland Wilcox
  • Alice MacCarthy
  • Isabel Lopez
  • Jimmy Bufalino
  • Clarke MacKay
  • Alex Randall

⠀Firefighter III to Engineer
  • Kenneth Boyd
  • Patrycja Lipska
  • Nick Deimous

Below is listed our current number of members at each rank in the Los Santos Fire Department.

⠀Chief Officers:
  • Fire Chief: 1
  • Assistant Chiefs: 0
  • Deputy Chiefs: 2
  • Battalion Chiefs: 1

⠀Company Officers:
  • Captain II: 3
  • Captain I: 1

⠀Non-Commissioned Staff:
  • Engineers: 9
  • Firefighter III: 5
  • Firefighter II: 8
  • Firefighter I: 12
  • Probationary Firefighters: 9
  • Volunteer Firefighters: 6
  • Civilian Staff: 1

⠀Lifeguards:
  • Chief Lifeguard: 0
  • Lifeguard Captains: 1
  • Lifeguards: 4
  • Lifeguard Trainees: 7

⠀Total members: 70

Every month the chief leaves his own statement at the end of every newsletter taking an overlook of the department from his perspective, below you can find what he had to say this month.
Fire Chief Randy Sikes:

"Hello, everyone.

Another year in the department has come and gone and it has been quite a wild one for us. We have seen two Fire Chiefs retire over the past year, the standing-up of Urban Search & Rescue, the opening of Station 3, Station 4, Station 6, the Fire Department Headquarters, and the reopening of Station 1. We have also seen a complete overhaul in our fleet, replacing or modernizing nearly every single vehicle in the fleet with more to come over the next several months. The Volunteer Battalion was stood up to provide service to the outlying parts of the county, and we've seen the department expand drastically in other areas. The department did exceptionally well through the year after a difficult start, losing a long-time Fire Chief. This next year will be even better.

I do have one announcement in that with the expansion of the department, we are in need of Captains. We highly encourage everyone who is eligible to apply.

I sincerely congratulate all of our promotes this month, as well as our award winners. Let's keep kicking ass.

Sincerely,
Chief Sikes.
"

Created by the Public Relations Division. Thanks for reading!

Facebrowser | Press Releases | Join us!

Leonardo Holman
Assistant Chief
Primary Assignment: Operations Bureau
Station Assignment: Station 7

Re: [DEC 2020] Monthly Bulletin Newsletter

Post by Leonardo Holman » 02 Jan 2021, 21:37

Congratulations everyone!

Image Image Assistant Chief Leonardo Holman - 14737
Head of Operations Bureau
"Serving with Courage, Integrity and Pride"

Rosetta Castano
Retired
Primary Assignment: Public Relations Division

Post by Rosetta Castano » 02 Jan 2021, 21:38

Congrats people!!

ASST. DIRECTOR OF PUBLIC RELATIONS | Rosetta Castano
[email protected]
Phone Number: 456-456

Kurt Holland
Battalion Chief
Station Assignment: Station 3

Post by Kurt Holland » 02 Jan 2021, 21:42

Congratulations everyone.
"THE SUPERIOR MAN UNDERSTANDS WHAT IS RIGHT; THE INFERIOR MAN UNDERSTANDS WHAT WILL SELL." — CONFUCIUS Image

Nolan Medrano
Battalion Chief
Station Assignment: Station 7

Post by Nolan Medrano » 02 Jan 2021, 21:42

Congratulations! :)

N. Medrano
Director of Training & Recruitment

Alex Randall
Volunteer Captain II
Primary Assignment: Station Captain
Station Assignment: Station 1

Post by Alex Randall » 02 Jan 2021, 21:42

Congratulations!
Volunteer Fire Captain II Alex Randall
Urban Search And Rescue Diver
Air Operations Division Flight Crew Coordinator
[+] Alt
ImageAssistant Chief Kevin Alterlis

Jess Williams
Retired Battalion Chief
Station Assignment: Station 1

Post by Jess Williams » 02 Jan 2021, 22:42

Congrats!
Battalion Chief - Battalion 2 (#34843) Image

Gary Young
Fire Chief
Primary Assignment: Management

Post by Gary Young » 02 Jan 2021, 22:50

Congratulations to everyone, fantastic start to the new year.
FIRE CHIEF GARY YOUNG

Los Santos Fire Department
"Serving with Courage, Integrity & Pride"

Gerald Berwick
Administrator III
Primary Assignment: Office Of The Chief Of Staff

Post by Gerald Berwick » 02 Jan 2021, 22:58

Congratulations everyone!
ADMINISTRATOR III GERALD BERWICK
Office of the Chief | Director, Department Development Team