Randy Sikes
Assistant Chief
Primary Assignment: Special Operations Bureau
Station Assignment: Headquarters

[JAN 2021] Monthly Bulletin Newsletter

Post by Randy Sikes » 02 Feb 2021, 20:11

⠀⠀LOS SANTOS FIRE DEPARTMENT⠀⠀
⠀⠀MONTHLY BULLETIN NEWSLETTER #31 - JANUARY 2021⠀⠀

January 2021, what a way to start the new year off with a bang! With the Los Santos Fire Department welcoming the biggest batch of Probationary Firefighters yet. With 18 starting their careers with us in the department this month, we wish them luck as they begin their journeys through probationary and Training & Recruitment continuing to adapt and grow with each Recruitment Drive.

Public Relations has also seen a boost in the last month, with new members being welcomed and the LSFD PIO Scanner going live to keep the Public Information Officers busy. Over the next few months, we're expecting lots of growth for the department and 2021 is looking to be a success for the department so far.

The Los Santos Fire Department periodically brings in Probationary Firefighters to serve the citizens of Los Santos. Today, an exciting opportunity presents itself as the public will get an in-depth look at Probationary Firefighter Alyssa Rivera's first week with an exclusive interview.

Alyssa casually agreed to discuss her first week within the Los Santos Fire Department at Station 7. We sat down with her for an extended period of time to see how her first week was going. She provided us with all of the details with the hopes of inspiring the public and shining a positive light on her experience so far.
Interview Transcript
What are some of the things that you have done in your first week?
" I've been focused on memorizing guidelines and procedures. Gaining experience within the department has been extremely useful, but experienced firefighters have been super helpful in guiding me and teaching me. "

Have you had a favorite moment so far?
"The best thing about the Los Santos Fire Department so far is the positive working environment. It's been exciting and it seems like one big family here. My favorite moment has been being able to help and serve the public in new ways. I love the fact that I have the opportunity to shine a light on someone's dark day and tell family members that their loved one is going to be okay.

It's really amazing to be able to help somebody out, cheer them up, and tell them that everything is going to be alright.
"

Have you changed since joining the Los Santos Fire Department?
"I feel like I have a new reflection and perspective on life, and how fragile it is. I understand now how quickly things can change. There are unfortunately people out there that are looking to do harm to others. I remain focused on living every day to the fullest, even after joining the Los Santos Fire Department. I expect to continue my journey and I'd imagine that I'll continue changing my perspective with more time in the Department."

What would you say to public citizens that may be interested in joining the Los Santos Fire Department?
"I absolutely encourage people to join the Los Santos Fire Department. My experiences have been extremely positive and we're like a really big family. Don't expect it to be easy, it's going to be a challenge. The process of overcoming those challenges is rewarding and it motivates me to continue. I really do believe that I came out of the academy as a better person and I think anyone else will also realize if this if they have the right mindset and perspective. "

Within the Fire Department, there are countless sectors where civilians may serve. These include the recruitment division & our very own public relations division. As I am still fairly new to this courageous fire department, I've had not much of a chance to get out there & see what being a Firefighter is all about. Fortunately, Firefighter III Alice MacCarthy & Engineer Jonathan Fjelboll took me out on a ridealong to see what one of the countries most well-known Fire Department is all about.

Under RA-31, we hastily took off under code three to an incoming dispatch - 'officer down'. This was heard over the radio & my heart sank. Almost spontaneously, the lights & sirens of the rig fluttered to life as we raced to the scene. Vespucci - known for its beautiful beach - is also a crime-riddled neighbourhood that is a danger to our brave emergency services every single day. Yet this does not stop them from serving their community & doing their duty to the city.

Our ambulance arrived on-scene. All around were the blinding lights of emergency vehicles & blue-uniformed police officers. Some were putting up yellow tape as another was keeping back some passers-by curious to what was happening. As I exited the rig, I saw Firefighter MacCarthy & Engineer Fjelboll rush to where the heroic officer lay - already being given BLS by their fellow officers.

According to one officer on the scene, two male suspects on a motorcycle - dressed in black - attacked the officer with a baseball bat. No motive was discovered for these cowardly acts. The officer was found to have suffered from Blunt Force Trauma to the rear of their head & was unconscious on arrival. There was also signs of possible spinal damage.

Firefighter MacCarthy & Engineer Fjelboll instantly set to work on treating the officer in what I could only describe as efficient, courteous and professional work. Being on the frontline with these men & women make you have a deeper appreciation for the emergency services of our great city.

After being administered intravenous drugs & being stabilized, the officer was transported to a nearby medical facility where they made a full recovery. Investigations are ongoing into what happened.

As we left the medical center & started patrolling the northern-end of Los Santos, I decided to get to know Alice & Jonathan a bit more as people.

Jonathan, donning his obvious Scandinavian features, is originally from Norway. He moved to Los Santos sometime ago & says the city is extremely different to back home, but, it is "refreshing" that we "do what has to be done" instantly.

Alice MacCarthy is originally from England - speaking with a thick, English accent. During her teens, she moved to Liberty City and only came to Los Santos last year! This came as a surprise to me considering how she is already the Public Relations Director - this shows how much dedication our Firefighters put into the job.

Soon after this, we had another call from dispatch - this time, a 911 call. It reported that there was a woman lying on the ground in pain. Once again, the lights & sirens burst to life as Alice handled the radio and Jon raced to the scene. As we pulled up, there was a black SUV with a female lying on the ground and a male kneeled beside her, distressed.

We exited the rig and the two Firefighters rushed into action - getting the gurney and putting on their gloves. The front of the SUV was slightly damaged, indicating a moderate speed collision with the pedestrian. The male crouched beside her was the driver, doing all he could to assist the young woman.

The patient was conscious on arrival and had suffered a right leg fracture as well as bruising down her right side, indicating possible broken/fractured ribs. Intravenous medicines were pushed, including painkillers, and a traction splint applied to the leg. The patient was soon ready to be transported. The driver, clearly apologetic for what happened, decided to come to Pillbox Hill Medical Centre with us - following behind in his SUV.

Fortunately, the patient made a full recovery & the driver surely bought her a get-well card from the PHMC gift store.

After this incident, the duo decided to call it a night. We arrived back at Station Three after a hard days' work and after this humbling experience, I found a new sense of respect & thankfulness for all of our emergency services men & women.

VINEWOOD HILLS - A frightening call was made by a woman whose car broke down and had spun off the mountainous roads. She ended up stuck in her car whilst it hung on top of a cliff above a waterfall, with the front wheels in the air. The LS Fire Department was quick to respond by dispatching the USAR team as well as the LSFD Air Operations to locate the person, as they were in the middle of nowhere.

After the LSFD Air Operations had successfully located the person in need within just a few minutes, USAR was quick to arrive at the scene. The LSFD Firefighters rushed to the car and attached two ropes to the rear wheels from their engine vehicle to the car to keep it balanced on the cliff, whilst another Firefighter conversed with the woman to keep her calm and relay her instructions.

Once the car was balanced on the cliff, the firefighters decided to open the rear doors and trunk of the car, and rescued the woman out of the vehicle.

“A situation like this is very rare, and yet they exercised their skills quickly, they assessed the situation quickly, and they did what had to be done bravely," said Deputy Chief Schneider. "Thanks to their bravery, thanks to their efforts, and thanks to their ingenuity, we have someone who was saved. It’s a happy day for her, and it’s a happy day for all of us."
TRAINING RECRUITMENT DIVISION
Every month we feature a division in which the division's leader can make a statement on exciting upcoming things and accomplishments.
Captain Itsuki Aoyama:
"The division is responsible for recruiting and training each and every person who steps through the door of the Fire Department as an employee. Their duties are varying and time-consuming as most tasks usually take hours over hours to be completed.

Our training officers are responsible for training our new firefighters in basic and advanced life support, how to safely operate our vehicles by teaching them how to behave on public roads, and then put them through custom made manoeuvrability courses where the new employees show their skills in operating the vehicles.

The division that was once located at Station 7, utilizing whichever office is free for the purposes of having interviews has expanded quite a lot during the last quarter of 2020 and now it is big enough to be occupying an entire wing of the Headquarters in the Rockford area and is rightfully doing so. With the opening of the Headquarters offices, a new unit joined the Department fleet - TD-1, the unit was given to Training and Recruitment so the recruiting officers can travel to HQ to perform interviews and the training instructors to travel to Station 6 where half of the Fire Station was re-purposed to fulfill the duty of being an academy facility where our newest members take their first steps into the Firefighting world.

As time progressed, Training and Recruitment continued to expand and at the start of 2021, we received a second SUV for the division - TD-2. The vehicle came into use immediately as 2021 served us a big surprise - the biggest recruitment drive that our Fire Department has ever faced. During January alone we received over 32 applications, and I stand proud when I say it - Engineer Williams and the trusted recruitment officers handled them amazingly with haste and professionalism.

The January recruitment drive brought to us 18 new firefighters who successfully went through the entry fire academy and EMT-B course, and with that - earning their positions within our Department. At the time of the statement publication, the very first probationary firefighters will be finishing the Field Training Program and beginning their careers as Firefighters.
"

Every month the Lifeguard Chief will be able to speak on behalf of their division informing everyone in the newsletter what the lifeguards have been up to and where they're headed. See below for what they had to say!
Lifeguard Section Chief Arianna Inglesias:
"Over the last two months the Lifeguard Division has grown to a number of fifteen Lifeguards and Volunteer Lifeguards which is amazing to see. Along with that we are trying to push out our Sub Sections do give Lifeguards something to strive towards and help towards building a better Division. During the month of January two Lifeguards got promoted to the rank of Lifeguard Captain, those being Lifeguard Amy Maddox and Volunteer Lifeguard Lilith Seong. Myself and Section Chief Weltmann were very happy with the work they had put in and they are both helping in the building of our Sub Sections both being Assistant Commanding Officer in the Training and Recruitment Sub Section (Seong) and the Recovery Sub Section (Maddox) as well as being in charge of their respective zone. We hope that with their help we can make the Division into somewhere with plenty of opportunities for a wide amount of people.

The Lifeguard Division are also starting to liaise more with the Los Santos Fire Departments Urban Search and Rescue teams in order to increase our performance whilst working together, this will include join drills and trainings in things such as coastal cliff rescues as well as swift water rescues.

Once again if you have any questions or queries about the Los Santos County Lifeguards don't hesitate to get in contact with either myself or Section Chief Weltmann at [email protected] & [email protected]
"

Awards

Throughout each month, various awards are issued to show accomplishments and certifications that have been accumulated through hard work and dedication, find below the awards that were issued this month!
[+] Firefighter Awards
Firefighter Awards

This award is obtainable by being voted as the Firefighter of the Month in monthly Supervisory discussions. This month we congratulate the following person:

Firefighter III Kevin Dorsey

In contrast to Firefighter of the Month, this award is given in recognition of outstanding performance shown during Firefighter Probation. This month we congratulate the following person:

Probationary Firefighter Sophie Carricker

This award is given to those who have successfully served the Los Santos Fire Department for three consecutive months. This month we congratulate the following people:

Firefighter III Clarke MacKay
Firefighter II Jackie Kerwood
Firefighter II Kevin Dorsey

Awarded to those who have successfully served the Los Santos Fire Department for six consecutive months. This month we congratulate the following people:

Engineer Patrycja Lipska
Firefighter III Isabel Lopez

Awarded to those who have successfully served the Los Santos Fire Department for nine consecutive months. This month we congratulate the following people:

Captain I Itsuki Aoyama

Awarded to those who have successfully served the Los Santos Fire Department for one consecutive year. This month we congratulate the following people:

Captain I Taylor Porter

Awarded to those who have successfully passed the State mandated Basic Life Support course and gained the EMT-B license. This month we congratulate the following people:

Firefighter I Alys Soswiz
Probationary Firefighter Essie Beck
Probationary Firefighter Tae-Yeon Kae
Probationary Firefighter Lucas Morel
Probationary Firefighter Robert Hill
Probationary Firefighter Tessa Lee
Probationary Firefighter Skilla Taagapoa
Probationary Firefighter Hayden Helmsley
Probationary Firefighter Ariana Saez
Probationary Firefighter Fujiko Kobayashi
Probationary Firefighter Cassandra Riley
Probationary Firefighter Sarah Foley
Probationary Firefighter Lowell Cuthbert
Probationary Firefighter Colin Manson
Volunteer Firefighter Daniel Aceveda
Volunteer Firefighter Buddy Mullins
Volunteer Firefighter Tanner Mullins

Awarded to those who have successfully completed Paramedic training provided by the Training & Recruitment division. This month we congratulate the following people:

Firefighter II Jackie Kerwood
Firefighter II Angel Kaye
Firefighter II Bas Reynolds
Volunteer Firefighter Amy Maddox

Awarded to those who have successfully completed the Class A Emergency Vehicle Operator Course. This month we congratulate the following people:

Firefighter I Raz Reeves
Firefighter I Katelyn McLoed

Awarded to those who have successfully completed the Class B Emergency Vehicle Operator Course. This month we congratulate the following people:

Firefighter I Alys Soswiz
Probationary Firefighter Essie Beck
Probationary Firefighter Tae-Yeon Kae
Probationary Firefighter Robert Hill
Probationary Firefighter Tessa Lee
Probationary Firefighter Skilla Taagapoa
Probationary Firefighter Hayden Helmsley
Probationary Firefighter Ariana Saez
Probationary Firefighter Fujiko Kobayashi
Probationary Firefighter Cassandra Riley
Probationary Firefighter Lowell Cuthbert
Probationary Firefighter Sarah Foley
Probationary Firefighter Colin Manson
Volunteer Firefighter Daniel Aceveda
Volunteer Firefighter Buddy Mullins

Awarded to those who have gone above and beyond of what is expected of them and have been harmed or killed in the line of duty. This month we sadly congratulate the following people:

Firefighter II Kevin Dorsey
[+] Lifeguard Awards
Lifeguard Awards

This award is obtainable by being voted as the Lifeguard of the Month in monthly Lifeguard supervisory discussions. This month we congratulate the following person:

Lifeguard Captain Lilith Seong

To the end of every month, members who are due a promotion are discussed by all Supervisory members of the Los Santos Fire Department. Members who have shown dedication, enthusiasm, maturity and have completed the requirements of their rank, are recommended for promotion before Chiefs of the department make the final decision. Below are the members who have successfully received promotions!
[+] Firefighter Promotions

⠀Probationary Firefighter to Firefighter I
  • Raz Reeves
  • Marcoz Delacruz
  • Alys Soswiz

⠀Firefighter I to Firefighter II
  • Katelyn McLeod
  • Mel Han

⠀Firefighter II to Firefighter III
  • Gary Foster
  • Jackie Kerwood
  • Kevin Dorsey
  • Bas Reynolds

⠀Firefighter III to Engineer
  • Jonathan Fjellhol
  • Samantha Lee

⠀Engineer to Captain I
  • Taylor Porter
  • Gary Young

Below is listed our current number of members at each rank in the Los Santos Fire Department.

⠀Chief Officers:
  • Fire Chief: 1
  • Assistant Chiefs: 0
  • Deputy Chiefs: 2
  • Battalion Chiefs: 0

⠀Company Officers:
  • Captain II: 2
  • Captain I: 3

⠀Non-Commissioned Staff:
  • Engineers: 11
  • Firefighter III: 14
  • Firefighter II: 5
  • Firefighter I: 4
  • Probationary Firefighters: 10
  • Voluntary Firefighters: 9
  • Civilian Staff: 5

⠀Lifeguards:
  • Chief Lifeguard: 0
  • Lifeguard Section Chief: 2
  • Lifeguard Captains: 2
  • Lifeguards: 5
  • Lifeguard Trainees: 6

⠀Total members: 81

Every month the chief leaves his own statement at the end of every newsletter taking an overlook of the department from his perspective, below you can find what he had to say this month.
Deputy Chief Nicole Schneider:
"Good evening everyone,

First of all, I'd like to congratulate everyone for their promotions and received awards. Everyone in the department is showing amazing dedication and that makes me very happy.

January has been an eventful month, we as the department have proved that we are trained and able to respond to every situation. Several protests have taken a place in our society this month, the department has been close to the community, helping them and ensuring people's safety.

If you don't mind, I'd like to look a bit into the past, where our department has been one or even two years ago. We had only one station in the operation, obsolete vehicles and the image of the department in public's eyes wasn't the best. A lot changed since then. We have been able to gain the public's respect, have been able to lower our response time and provide better coverage, establish amazing divisions prepared to respond anytime on every possible situation. We have been able to achieve everything as a team, as a family.

But we are not stopping there. Our Captains team is growing up, we had one of the biggest recruitments ever, our public relations division is providing amazing services for the community. The Captains and Chiefs team is also working hard and preparing new opportunities in the department, as we'd like to make sure everyone is feeling good and welcome in our family.

The reason why I'm talking about all of this is that I'd like to say thank you to every single one of you. To all past and current members of the department. It wouldn't be possible without you.

The Los Santos Fire Department is one big loving and caring family and I'm very proud I can be part of it.

Nicole Schneider
Deputy Chief of Operations Bureau
"
Created by the Public Relations Division. Thanks for reading!

Facebrowser | Press Releases | Join us!

Kurt Holland
Battalion Chief
Primary Assignment: Operations Bureau
Station Assignment: Station 3

Re: [JAN 2021] Monthly Bulletin Newsletter

Post by Kurt Holland » 02 Feb 2021, 20:13

Congratulations, everyone!
"THE SUPERIOR MAN UNDERSTANDS WHAT IS RIGHT; THE INFERIOR MAN UNDERSTANDS WHAT WILL SELL." — CONFUCIUS Image

Gerald Berwick
Administrator III
Primary Assignment: Office Of The Chief Of Staff

Post by Gerald Berwick » 02 Feb 2021, 20:15

Congratulations everyone!
ADMINISTRATOR III GERALD BERWICK
Office of the Chief | Director, Department Development Team

Samantha Schultz
Senior Paramedic
Primary Assignment: EMS Division
Station Assignment: Station 7

Post by Samantha Schultz » 02 Feb 2021, 20:17

Congrats everyone
Senior Paramedic Samantha Schultz

Sarah Foley
Retired
Primary Assignment: Rescue Company
Station Assignment: Station 6

Post by Sarah Foley » 02 Feb 2021, 20:18

Congratulations, everyone!

Patrycja Lipska
EMS Division Chief
Primary Assignment: Operations Bureau
Station Assignment: Station 7

Post by Patrycja Lipska » 02 Feb 2021, 20:20

Congratulations to everyone! Good work on achieving your promotions and awards; and everyone can be proud of the hard work they put in this month. :D
Image Patrycja Lipska - Badge #36849 - EMS Division Chief - Acting Battalion 2 Chief Fire Station Seven - El Burro
Retired Director of Training and Recruitment

Rosetta Castano
Retired
Primary Assignment: Public Relations Division

Post by Rosetta Castano » 02 Feb 2021, 20:24

Wiggy Woogy, Congrats!

ASST. DIRECTOR OF PUBLIC RELATIONS | Rosetta Castano
[email protected]
Phone Number: 456-456

Tessa Lee