Firefighter II
Primary Assignment: Recruit Services Section
Station Assignment: Station 52

â €
⠀⠀LOS SANTOS FIRE DEPARTMENT⠀⠀
⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀PRESS RELEASE - Captain Holland Interview⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀

Written by: Caiden Burks
Published: 03/12/2020

The Los Santos Fire Department consists of well-trained and prepared firefighters that swore ''to Protect and to Serve'' the citizens of Los Santos along with Los Santos County.

Last week, the Public Relations Division had the opportunity to sit down face-to-face with Captain Kurt Holland, Urban Search and Rescue Officer, to congratulate him personally for his promotion. We had the pleasure to ask Captain Holland about his vision regarding the department and share some of his experience.
â €
⠀⠀ Captain Holland Interview ⠀
Interview Transcript
Since you moved up the rank, Public Relations would like to congratulate you. What are your plans from now on?
"Thank you, I appreciate it. Well, Captain II's are also known to be Station Captains of the department. Upon progression, Chief of Operations decide which Station you'll be leading in particular shift. Here in Threes, our duties are to ensure USAR delivers its full potential and of course, to prepare you folks for daily challenges. We want to operate our Station as efficient as we can."
â €
What made you think about the Los Santos Fire Department as a career?
" I decided to pursue a career in ice-hockey at first, heh. That was of course when I was just a kid, surrounded by wild ideas and didn't know what life had in store for us. Around 16, perhaps? I attended one of the elective courses about Primary Aid and found the branch very interesting. Ice-Hockey turned out to be not my thing. I had a profound passion for saving lives. I applied for Broward College's Emergency Medical Services program. It's in Florida and you know, it wasn't a bad idea to actually try somewhere warmer for once.

Firefighting wasn't still an option until I was in Paramedic School; one of my buddies sparked the idea. My youth-self was captivated by the job's perks: Free Gym access, full medical coverage, stable government pay and well, being a ladies' hero was a sweet bonus, heh. I decided to apply for Springfield Fire Department; it was the only one accepting applications in Illinois, where we migrated from Toronto when I was just ten.

That's how the journey started. Now, here we are.
"

Have you ever thought of yourself making Captain?
"I always envisioned myself as a Company Officer one day, but life wasn't really kind to me back in the days. So, no. I didn't. Got involved in an accident when I was a Firefighter back in 2009. That was one of the life-changing moments that I could've stayed disabled for life. From a solid sixty-percent chance of being disabled to life offering you another chance and making it this far, is something I don't take for granted."

What advice can you offer to someone that would want to forge a career with the LSFD?
"Firefighting is both demanding and rewarding; definitely not something you'd try and change it over the course. You are either bonded to this job or not. So is being a hero. If you can push your priorities into the background to taste the sweet satisfaction of helping others in need, this is the best job in the world. If you have what it takes, request a ride-along session in our website and see it yourself in action."
Firefighter II/AEMT Luca "Lucas" Anderson

Former Deputy Fire Marshal II (Bonus) Alex "Jorge" Jorgensen
Ret. Volunteer Firefighter #49041
  • Information